This Measure for Measure activity also includes:
How does your class measure up? Young scientists create a scale drawing of the JOIDES Resolution in a collaborative activity. The lesson incorporates mathematical principles with deep-sea exploration to focus on enhancing measurement abilities and reasoning skills.
- Challenge the class to build a replica of the ship using smaller scale calculations
- Incorporate writing into the lesson by having students draft an email to the Deep Earth Academy to request free measuring tapes for the classroom
- Show images of the vessel from different angles to help pupils gain perspective on the different parts of the ship they are drawing
- Lesson builds important math skills while examining deep-sea exploration tactics
- Teacher's guide includes printable materials