This Matter and the Periodic Table Chemical Families and Periodic Trends lesson plan also includes:
- Student Reference
- Join to access all included materials
Is assembling the periodic table as simple as Tetris? Scholars arrange colored cards into a logical order and then make connections to the arrangement of the periodic table. Hands-on activities include adding trend arrows and analyzing patterns. It introduces chemical families, note taking strategies, and test preparation during the conclusion of the lesson.
- Allow ELLs and struggling students to have the vocabulary sheets a few days before the activity to help familiarize themselves with the words
- Setup requires color printing, cutting, laminating, and some supplies you might not typically have on hand, such as a metal baking pan for each group; be sure to allow plenty of time for gathering materials
- Lesson best fits as an introduction to the periodic table
- Provides ideal student answers to all questions
- Highlights vocabulary words
- Test preparation questions are offered at the fifth and eighth grade levels, while the lesson is designed for seventh through twelfth grade levels.