This Martin Luther King, Jr. and Me: Identifying with a Hero lesson plan also includes:
Here, young historians compare their early lives to that of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s. They listen to a read aloud of a story by Dr. King's sister, and then write in the provided reflective journal template. Lastly, they share their ideas at a class birthday party for the civil rights leader.
- Put learners into groups to allow collaborative thinking
- Acquire the book My Brother Martin: A Sister Remembers by Christine King Farris
- Birthday party activity at end of the lesson is optional
- Resource comes with extensions and various links to research
- Comes with reflective questions that can serve as a rubric
- Some of the included links do not direct you to the appropriate website