This Making Your Mark: Free Verse Poetry lesson plan also includes:
Using the insight they have gained into the experiences of detainees at the Angel Island Immigration Station, young poets create their own free verse poems that they feel captures what it may have felt like to be an immigrant interned on the island.
- Images of poems carved into the walls of Angel Island Immigration Station can be found here
- Post student poems next to images of poems carved into the walls of the barracks on Angel Island
- 13th of 14 lessons in the unit study of Angel Island Immigration Station
- Instructors must develop their own grade-level appropriate explanation of free verse poetry
- The detailed plan offers several options for the poems including carving them into foam plates
- Includes suggested adaptations and extensions