This Make a Planetary Exploration Balloon activity also includes:
Balloons aren't just for parties! An inquiry-based lesson explores the idea of using balloons for space exploration. Learners become engineers as they attempt to control the ascent and descent of a helium balloon using different masses.
3 Views 0 Downloads CCSS: Designed NGSS: Designed
- Give each group a different-sized balloon and compare results
- After pupils have worked to find a pattern between velocity and mass, challenge them to calculate the mass needed for a specific velocity
- Expects at least a basic understanding of gravity and weight
- Adaptable to a wide range of grade levels
- Includes both teacher and student guides