This Magic Isle: Lesson Plan 3 lesson plan also includes:
Middle schoolers complete a writing assessment task to demonstrate their ability to craft a narrative based on a variety of informational texts. They view West of the West's documentary Magic Isle, read three print resources about the island, and then craft a narrative about an imaginary hike on Catalina Island.
- The supplemental readings are dated (2010); consider updating the articles to present writers with more current information about the island
- The assessment presumes writers have viewed the West of the West's documentary, The Magic Isle—Catalina Island
- Learners should have experience crafting narratives and experience with such writing tests
- The 16-page packet includes the text of the three print resources, discussion questions, directions for the narrative performance task, images, a scoring guide, and links to additional resources
- Beware the typos and grammar errors in the articles
- The photo image of the rubric is not legible; the rubric would need to be reformatted