This Lone Woman of San Nicolas Island: Lesson Plan 1 lesson plan also includes:
As a practice writing test, fourth graders use the West of the West's documentary Lone Woman of San Nicolas Island and two print resources as source materials for an informative article that identifies information that is historically accurate and information that is not in Scott O'Dell's Island of the Blue Dolphins.
- Have groups use Venn diagrams to compare information presented in the three sources
- The lesson presumes class members have watched the West of the West's documentary The Lone Woman of San Nicolas Island
- Writers are expected to have experience crafting informative essays
- Writers are presented with the challenge of assessing three different versions of the tale
- Beware the typos and misspellings (women instead of woman, Nicholas instead of Nicolas) in the resource and the writing prompt
- While a rubric is included, the photo of the writing rubric is not legible