This Lincoln's Suspension of Habeas Corpus During the Civil War interactive also includes:
What is the balance between constitutional rights and security during a war? Young historians debate the question while looking at Lincoln's decision to suspect habeas corpus during the Civil War. After reviewing his order, discussion questions and a writing prompt help them unpack the controversies surrounding this decision.
- Use document activity to supplement instruction of the Civil War
- Offer document analysis to stimulate a debate on the balance of individual rights and national security
- Class members need access to a computer to complete the lesson
- Online document is interactive and zeroes in on key phrases
- Activity is adaptable to a variety of uses to teach about constitutional rights, Lincoln, or the Civil War