This Life Size - Explore the Size and Scale of Microscopic Biology activity & project also includes:
Compare sizes of microscopic items. Given a set of labels of microscopic objects, pupils try to place them in order from smallest to largest. Scholars then compare their lists to the actual comparisons along with the measurements of the microscopic items.
- Create scale drawings of items that are measured with the same units
- Use a microscope to view a cell or bacteria to get a sense of other sizes
- It is beneficial if the class understands how the metric system is based on powers of 10
- Provides a conversion table to demonstrate the size of a nanometer
- Includes suggestions for extensions