This Life in Shadows: Hidden Children and the Holocaust lesson plan also includes:
Hiding in the filth of a sewer, as a child, to avoid capture by Nazi soldiers—sounds scary! Scholars investigate the youngest victims of the Holocaust, the children. They research video clips and written sources from the Holocaust Reading Passages to uncover life in hiding during World War II. Using the information, they construct a written response to being a child in one of the most horrific circumstances in history.
- Split the class into groups to assist those with difficulty reading and comprehending the material
- Create stations around the room and present different stories of children in the Holocaust
- Print extra copies of the materials for use outside the classroom if needed
- Resource includes a study guide
- Lesson adjusted for multiple grade levels