This Life at War lesson plan also includes:
It looks like a cracker, but hardtack was anything but. The staple of the Civil War soldier's diet is one of many aspects of military life that scholars consider using letters from soldiers back home and images from slavery. A PowerPoint and supportive materials help learners explore why soldiers fought and what life was like during the Civil War.
- Use primary sources from soldiers to discuss the reasons men fought in the Civil War
- Offer primary source analysis activities to build skills
- Images of enslaved people may be disturbing to some pupils
- Images offer a variety of perspectives on soldiers' lives
- Materials are easy to use as a unit or integrate into separate lessons