This Lesson 4: Escape lesson plan also includes:
Some enslaved people decided to run for their liberation. Using lyrics of songs they sang, young historians look at these anthems of freedom. An assessment asks them to write the story of escape from the perspective of an enslaved person.
1 Collection 4 Views 2 Downloads CCSS: Designed
- Use the lesson as a introduction to a unit on the Underground Railroad
- Learners must be able to listen to the songs mentioned, which are available on a two-CD set
- Fourth in a set of six lessons on the lives of enslaved people and music
- Lesson integrates a variety of primary sources not typically used in history classes
- Prompts and rubrics make the activities easy to implement