This Leaf Litter Ecology Lab lesson plan also includes:
Some organisms spend their entire lives in leaf litter. The third in a series of six is a great lesson exploring the community of leaf litter. Groups gather and then spread leaf litter over white paper and remove leaves/twigs while looking for herbivores and carnivores to create a food web, identify trophic levels, and create a biomass pyramid.
- Have some organisms placed in jars ahead of time to show classes the species they might find
- Teachers need to gather leaf litter, sticks, and/or detritus for this lab
- Some pupils may be afraid of the spiders/bugs, so set expectations about voice levels (screams) and scaring others in the classroom
- Lesson provides all worksheets, background information, directions, and extension suggestions
- This is a great lab where class members can find all kinds of critters