This Layers and Laws: The Law of Superposition and Index Fossils lesson plan also includes:
What can layers of rock teach us about the climate? Young scientists solve a mystery about who stole a cookie by applying the law of superposition. Then, they apply the same concept to solve a more difficult mystery, trying to determine which fossils belong together. Using all of these clues, scholars write about the climate during the time of a specific fossil layer.
- Show samples of sedimentary rock layers
- Discuss radioactive dating and index fossils in more detail
- Requires prior knowledge of the formation of fossils and sedimentary rock
- Includes an answer key for worksheets and discussion questions
- Provides supplementary resources
- Majority of the lesson requires a high level of pupil engagement