This Law of Cosines lesson plan also includes:
Build upon the Pythagorean Theorem with the Law of Cosines. The 10th part of a 16-part series introduces the Law of Cosines. Class members use the the geometric representation of the Pythagorean Theorem to develop a proof of the Law of Cosines. Pupils apply what they learned and use the Law of Cosines to find measurements in oblique triangles.
- Have the class determine the range of the length of the third side
- Create pairs and have them create problems that require them to apply the Law of Cosines to solve
- Class members should be familiar with the geometric representation of the Pythagorean Theorem
- Scaffolding gives the teacher hints where the class may make common mistakes
- Resource uses colors to distinguish the different geometric figures