Kepler and Newton make a great team! Derive Kepler's Third Law of Motion using Newton's work with gravitational forces. An installment of the Socratica "Astronomy" playlist explores the applications of Kepler's Third Law of Motion after the derivation. Scholars watch as the presenter shows how to use the law to calculate orbits and mass.
- Use snapshots from the video to create a customized lesson presentation
- Pair with additional videos from the series to create a unit on the study of planetary orbits
- Expects a familiarity with Kepler's First and Second Laws of Motion
- Includes a quick review of Kepler's First and Second Laws of Motion
- Describes mathematical calculations step by step