This Is it Alive? activity also includes:
Interestingly enough, movement is not a characteristic of living things. The first activity in a series of 20 introduces learners to the concepts of living versus non-living things and then focuses on biologists and what they study. Through short readings and discussions, pupils determine the characteristics of life and examples of what biologists study.
- Place learners in groups of two to three to complete the activity
- Bring in examples of living and non-living things and allow pupils to handle the samples
- Activity is best for upper elementary through sixth graders
- Activity is simple and requires no materials
- There is a self-assessment at the end for scholars to determine if they achieved all five objectives