What determines the type of bond two atoms will form? Science scholars examine the factors that affect the formation of molecules and compounds through a short video from Socratica's biology series. Topics include valence electrons, intermolecular forces, electronegativity, and bond strength.
- Pass out an electronegativity table for pupils to use as they watch the video
- Give pupils time to draw the examples as the narrator describes them
- Be sure to show the video after you've discussed Bohr models and valence electrons
- The descriptions of chemical interactions explain the early stages of bonding
- Narrator provides careful explanations of the differences between traditional bonds and intermolecular forces