This Investigating the Atmosphere - Air Takes Up Space lesson plan also includes:
- Join to access all included materials
How do you know there is air? Can you see it, smell it, feel it? To begin the investigation, learners watch a video and discuss what they know about air and the atmosphere. Then, they participate in five different hands-on, inquiry-based activities to learn how air behaves in the atmosphere. The lesson provides connections to both physical science and space science.
- Divide the class into small groups and set each activity up at a station while groups rotate around to each activity
- Use follow-up activity to provide more investigation, then assign research on central heating or layers of atmosphere to make a real-life connection
- Requires materials many classrooms do not contain
- Includes interesting hook and trigger questions to engage learners
- Offers flexibility to use all or some of the activities depending on class needs