This Investigating Factors Affecting the Breathing Rate of a Locust lesson plan also includes:
Do animals breathe faster when given more oxygen or more carbon dioxide? Young scientists observe the respiration rates of locusts under a variety of gas concentrations to answer that very question. They collect data, analyze the results, and discuss their conclusions.
- Review safety practices when working with live animals and the procedures to ensure the animals are not harmed
- Link the discussion to changes in the concentration of oxygen in the air throughout the history of the planet
- Requires live locusts, oxygen generator, and carbon dioxide generator
- Connects science and math concepts
- Includes teacher tips throughout the lesson