You never get a second chance to make a first impression. According to the 11th handout in the 24-part Writing the Paper series, that's why writing a strong introduction is so important. The handout offers strategies for crafting effective introductions and also includes information on styles to avoid.
- Review introductions from different articles or essays and rate them based on their effectiveness and ability to engage readers
- Have writers craft three to four introductions for a paper, and then choose the best one
- Print double-sided and skip the final page (it's mostly blank) to save paper
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- Includes sample sentences to illustrate the strategies mentioned
- Links to a handout on conclusions to help with multiple aspects of the writing process
- Spends more time and offers more examples of less effective introductions than giving examples of good ones