This Introduction to Poetry unit plan also includes:
Introduce fourth graders to poetry with a three-week unit that has them examine the structural elements of poetry, analyze poems, and craft their own original poems rich in sensory details and other poetic devices. Young scholars study poems written by other students, as well as published poetry, to gain an understanding of poetic devices and then craft their own original poem to share with classmates.
- Save copies of the poems class members create to use as models
- Requires a copy of Crazy Like a Fox: A Simile Story by Loreen Leedy
- Instructors must supply poems to be used as models
- Includes poems instructors may use as examples
- A poem rubric and a poetry vocabulary quiz are also included
- Class members keep a poetry notebook for examples and their own poems