This Introducing Ecosystem Services lesson plan also includes:
Purifying air and water, providing soil in which to grow crops, and moving water through its natural cycle are all services an ecosystem provides that benefit humans. Lesson four in a series lets learners explore and discuss the value of ecosystems. By analyzing a painting and participating in class discussions, pupils determine the services ecosystems provide (provisioning, regulating, supporting, and cultural) to humans.
- Project the painting class members will analyze so everyone can see it
- Activity is appropriate for middle and high schoolers
- Lesson could easily be completed in one class period
- Includes the artwork needed for analysis, worksheets, and background information
- Engaging analysis of an ecosystem that is often overlooked