This Integer Combinations—Postage Stamps Problem (HS Version) activity & project also includes:
It seems the post office has run out of stamps! Learners build all the values of postage available if the post office only sells five- and seven-cent stamps. The task provides an opportunity to create an expression in two variables and evaluate outcomes.
- Initially, present the problem to individuals; create groups to discuss conclusions
- Have groups present their methods of completing the task
- Previous experience creating algebraic expressions is helpful
- Highlights key misconceptions
- Includes a rubric to assess group discussion