This Importance of Deep-Sea Ecosystems – Chemists with No Backbones lesson plan also includes:
Marine invertebrates offer us many new options for developing pharmaceutical drugs, such as w-conotoxin MVIIA, which is extracted from the cone snail and is a potent painkiller. The lesson encourages scholars to research various types of deep sea invertabrates and their importance.
- Invite a chemist from a pharmaceutical company to speak to your class
- Uses a board for presentations and will work with a chalk board, white board, bulletin board, smart board, or overhead with transparencies
- Requires Internet access during the research portion
- Lesson is the seventh in a series of 16
- Provides many links for possible extensions, related lesson plans, online interactive demos, and resources
- Includes both a written and oral report, which is great for different learning styles