This Immigration: Experiencing Ellis Island lesson plan also includes:
An interactive tour permits young scholars to follow the path of immigrants as they arrive in the United States and are processed at Ellis Island Immigration Station. Packed with photos, videos, and charts, the resource gives texture to what the experience might have been like.
- Ask class members to investigate how and when their families came to the United States
- Have the class craft a similar interactive for San Francisco's Angel Island Immigration Station
- Ask groups to research world events that might have influence the rise and fall of immigration statistics
- Designed for eighth graders but appropriate for any study of immigration and Ellis Island
- The site is easy to navigate and could be assigned for out-of-class viewing
- Includes photos, as well as audio and video clips