This Illuminate Me: Merging Conductive Sewing, Technology, and Solar Power lesson plan also includes:
Sew up a unit on solar energy with a hands-on project. Groups sew LED lights on clothing using conductive thread. Solar modules attached to a helmet provide the energy for the lights. A final presentation gives learners the opportunity to share their designs with the rest of the class.
- Team up with a family and consumer sciences teacher and/or a computer teacher for the project
- Scholars must have experience with solar modules and electric circuits
- Knowledge of programming is beneficial
- Activity requires a variety of hardware and other materials; see resource for complete list
- Provides a list of vocabulary terms and their definitions
- Includes detailed instructions with pictures and diagrams