This Icefish Blood Adaptations: Viscosity activity & project also includes:
Most fish freeze to death when the water is too cold, yet some fish live in the Southern Ocean where the water is often below freezing. Scholars use two models representing the blood from most fish versus the blood from Antarctic fish. They explore the properties of each sample and learn about the importance of viscosity to delivering oxygen to tissues.
- Highlight the common misconception about natural selection giving what is needed and taking away unused traits
- Add viscosity to science journals
- Relies on prior knowledge of inherited traits and that blood carries oxygen
- Uses easily available materials
- Easy to extend to lessons on adaptations, blood, environments, mutations, and more