Is flipping a switch and lighting up a room normal or miraculous? It depends where—and when—you live. Crash Course World History covers historical uses of energy, current uses of energy, and the possible future uses of energy with an explanatory video.
- Pair with an environmental science lesson on renewable energy sources or climate change
- Have class members watch the video at home and develop discussion questions to bring to small-group debriefs the next day
- Stan Muller stands in for John Green, the usual narrator for the video series; he is informative but not as entertaining as Green
- Does not address energy efficiency when comparing current energy sources to renewable sources
- The seventh video in a series of 36
- Provides a good history of fossil fuels and nuclear power, as well as a solid introduction to renewable sources of energy