This Human Feet Are Strange lesson plan also includes:
Feet are neat! So, if you've already walked the path of examining animal footprints with your class, put them in the shoes of early humans! A well-designed lesson incorporates video, discussion, and hands-on learning to demonstrate how humans have evolved. Junior paleontologists leave their mark on their own versions of the Laetoli trackway and finish by comparing and contrasting them to the originals.
- Watch the video as a class, then work together through the discussion questions
- Make the activity the culmination of a study of the fossil record or evolution
- Print and laminate class copies of the Laetoli trackway ahead of time, one for each pair of students
- Enlist the help of volunteers for setting up your class' version of the trackway, so it's in place when the class begins
- Recreating the Laetoli trackway in the classroom is engaging and impactful
- The resource does an excellent job of reinforcing observation and inference skills
- Introduction video is interesting and sure to capture the class's attention!