Electrocuting metal until it shrinks sounds crazy, but it happens! Part of a larger physics playlist an intriguing video explains how an electromagnet shrinks any metal coin. The narrator discusses the electric and magnetic forces as well as various laws that apply to the process.
- Research the various sites mentioned in the video and the methods they use to shrink coins
- Make simple electromagnets in class
- Avoid the comments if possible, as many contain inappropriate language
- Connects art, science, and financial considerations
- Includes warnings not to try this at home—an important reminder for students!
- Offers subtitles in English, French, Hindi, and Spanish for ease of note taking