This How to Read a Poem: “The Negro Speaks of Rivers” lesson plan also includes:
Learners listen as a teacher models how to read a poem using The Negro Speaks of Rivers. They use the How to Read a Poem anchor chart to help guide their thought process on how a poem requires different reading than other text. While reading, they discuss figurative language, mood, theme, and poetic structure and then answer questions about the text.
- After modeling, have pupils take turns reading lines of the poem
- Installment 12 of 15 in the consecutive Grade 7 ELA Module 3, Unit 1 series
- Uses equity sticks (for speaking) and document camera
- Includes complete anchor chart and question answers for teacher reference
- Offers suggestions for meeting the needs of struggling readers