This How Much Energy Do YOU Use? lesson plan also includes:
Determine the power hog in the house. Pupils learn the difference between power and energy before participating in a hands-on activity. Using a power meter, pairs measure the actual power used for several household devices, estimate the number of hours each device is used during the day, and calculate the energy use. Individuals may use the power meter to find the power usage for devices at home as an optional homework assignment.
- Determine the amount of energy used within the classroom for a day
- Have individuals bring in from home electrical appliances they use on a regular basis
- Requires the use of a "Kill-A-Watt" meter for each group
- Third installment in a six-lesson unit on solar versus wind energy
- Includes links to videos on how to use the power meter
- Provides estimated times for each section of the lesson