Do bats really have thumbs? Explore this, and many other intriguing topics using a short video from a great science series. Viewers learn to differentiate between analogous and homologous structures, why natural selection favors traits depending upon location, and why dogs walk on their tip-toes.
- Make the video an opener for a homologous and analogous structures lesson
- After the video, pair pupils and have them work together to complete a class work assignment to help them understand evolution
- Students should be familiar with evolution and natural selection to understand the emergence of new traits
- Totally engaging! Great animal comparisons make for a short but highly informative presentation
- The narrator carefully explains the connection between common ancestry and physical structures in the animal kingdom