This How Do We Know?: Make Additional Weather Sensors; Set Up a Home Weather Station activity also includes:
Viewers learn about three different weather measurement tools in installment five of the 10-part Discover Your Changing World series. They build weather vanes to collect data on wind speed, barometers to determine air pressure, and rain gauges to collect rainwater and measure precipitation. The activity allows pupils to place their weather stations in the location of their choice to gather data.
- Have pupils set up the weather stations in different places around the community or school grounds and collect and compare data over a period of time
- Split small groups into expert teams for one weather measurement tool and have them collect data
- Requires materials some classrooms may not have on hand
- Provides detailed images and information to support learning
- Real-world application adds interest