Get ready to take the plunge! Science scholars go fishing with a brown pelican and see how it can withstand the impact of the water from a height of 40 feet. The narrator shows the birds in action and describes the physical adaptations that facilitate their flawless dives.
- Pair the video with a lesson on avian anatomy
- Compare the pelican's adaptations with those of other fishing bird species such as the kingfisher
- Review anatomical terms involving bones before watching the video
- Shows each physical adaptation and describes them in detail
- Underwater angles illustrate how pelicans capture prey while the pelican engages other body systems to slow down