Explore the chemical reaction that may just save your life! An episode of a comprehensive series covering chemical reactions discusses what triggers the inflation of airbags during a crash. Initiated by an accelerometer, a combustion reaction takes place, releasing nitrogen gas that inflates the bags.
- Have learners write and balance the chemical reaction that takes place in the airbags
- Ask pupils to share personal stories of car accidents if they feel comfortable
- Recognize that car accidents may be an emotional topic for some individuals
- Uses a familiar topic to connect scholars to the chemistry topic
- Includes links to videos that explore additional chemical reactions