This How Did Polynesian Wayfinders Navigate the Pacific Ocean? instructional video also includes:
Imagine sailing around the world, or even around the Pacific Ocean, in an outrigger canoe without the the aid of a GPS? Or a compass? Or even a sextant? The Polynesians did. Find out how with an engaging video that details how they used observations to aid their navigational skills.
- Have groups investigate navigational devices used by modern sailors such as the GPS, compass, sextant, sonar, and radar
- Flip the lesson asking class members to view the video, complete the comprehension check, and research some of the links before returning for a full class discussion
- The video ends with an ad for TED-ED programs
- The resource includes a reading comprehension check, links to related articles, and a discussion question
- The video details the skills these early ocean navigators used