It's helpful to encourage kids to make predictions when beginning a reading unit. Before reading Hoot by Carl Hiaasen, have kids read Susan Barlow Broggi's Am I Grown Up When I'm Not Afraid of Spiders in My Shoes? to make predictions about what will happen next at each point in the story. When they finish, they can use the practice in their upcoming novel unit.
- Implement the practice of prediction with any book in your curriculum
- Lesson plan is unclear when it comes to specific ways to teach the picture book
- Resource was written by a student teacher, so objectives only cover one skill
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- Both books deal with the theme of adulthood and growing up
- Simple activity for young learners can encourage reading comprehension skills