This History vs. Henry VIII video also includes:
How does Henry VIII hold up in the court of public opinion? An interesting animation takes Henry to court and lets a prosecutor and a defense attorney have at it. In the course of the lively courtroom drama, learners hear about the key choices and actions for which we remember Henry today.
- Ask scholars to nominate any key events of Henry’s reign that they feel should have been included, developing a speech to the judge in which they explain why the court should hear additional evidence
- In groups, have students re-watch the video, draw up a list of the points that are argued in the case, and for each point, identify which attorney they think argued better and explain why they think as they do
- Prepare students by explaining any sixteenth-century cultural norms required for understanding Henry’s choices
- For full understanding, be sure individuals know the names of the key figures who interacted with Henry in important ways
- Provides a quick review of the key issues of Henry’s reign by doing more than simply listing them
- Highlights the power of using words to spin interpretation of events