This Heat Up and Cool Down activity also includes:
Don't be so dense! Using food coloring, pupils conduct two experiments with the difference in densities of hot and cold water. In the first experiment, learners add dyed hot and cold water into room temperature water and observe how the colors move. The second experiment, scholars stack hot water on top of cold water and observe whether they mix.
- Make the connection to water currents and investigate where the temperatures in the oceans are different
- Requires access to ice and hot water
- One portion of the Adventures in Chemistry Experiments
- Provides a suggestion to an extension of one experiment
- Contains photos to illustrate the steps in the experiments