Melting ice seems pretty easy, right? But what's actually happening is much more complex! Introduce the class to enthalpy calculations using a video tutorial. The narrator explains and performs the calculations that show the energy at work in converting an ice cube to steam.
- Pause the video to give pupils time to work the sample problems
- Have the class create a graph of the enthalpy changes as they watch
- Perform a brief review of specific heat before watching the video
- Keeps the lengthy calculation shown in the video organized with an illustrated side bar to help learners keep track of the steps
- An animated graph follows the calculation and shows each stage of the ice cube's transformation, which is a great visual cue