This Heat Engine interactive also includes:
How can heat power an engine? Scholars observe a heat engine working and control variables to determine the most efficient setup. They change the amount of heat input as well as the stroke length. Energy efficiency numbers prove the trade-off as participants complete each trial.
- Build a small heat engine in class
- Requires a free CK-12 account to access the interactive
- Assumes prior knowledge of energy, pressure, volume, and work
- Provides a graph of the work done as well as a flow chart of the energy
- Compares work and efficiency in graphs that update with each trial