This Heart of Darkness Introduction presentation also includes:
- Graphic & Image
- Join to access all included materials
Heart of Darkness is not an easy read, both because of the subject matter and Conrad's Impressionistic style. A 20-slide presentation introduces readers to Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness. The presentation begins with a brief review of the European nation's claims to African territories. Other slides document the barbaric treatment of Congolese workers and introduce viewers to Imperialism, Modernism, and Impressionism.
- Use the presentation to provide viewers with the historical background of King Leopold's rule of the Congo and to prepare them for Conrad's Impressionistic style
- The photographs reveal the brutality of the treatment of the workers
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- An image of a painting by Monet demonstrates Impressionism