This Half-Life lesson plan also includes:
Scholars shake their way to understanding half-life with the help of candy. They observe and record which side candy lands on to graph the exponential decay in the fifth activity of seven integrating chemistry and algebra. Combining multiple sets of data following the same method offers a better understanding of why half-lives are often estimates.
- Substitute pennies for candy or use an online random coin flipper
- Be aware of any student allergies
- Relies on prior knowledge of half-lives and exponential functions
- Activity works as a demonstration, small groups, or individually depending on the available material
- Easily adaptable to advanced or remedial classes