This Great Civilizations Develop around Rivers activity & project also includes:
If you lived in prehistoric times, what kinds of choices could your family make to increase their chance of survival? By making similar decisions in a simulation game, participants discover how specialization creates both opportunity and challenges. Scholars then consider how being near a river compounds the advantages of specialization.
- Divide the class into teams to complete the learning simulation
- Develop discussion questions for individuals to consider the outcomes of specialization on societies
- Resource is the fourth of 23 lessons from the Council for Economic Education exploring history
- While the lesson title indicates rivers are a key focus of the lesson, neither the game nor slides explore the concept in depth
- Game is interactive and analytical, making it interesting to a broad group
- PowerPoint slides help explain difficult economic concepts