This Grade 9 ELA Module 1: Unit 3, Lesson 9 lesson plan also includes:
After viewing Baz Luhrmann’s depiction of the marriage of Romeo and Juliet, the class listens to a recording of act 3, scene 1, lines 59–110; and then groups consider how Shakespeare develops Romeo’s character through his interactions with Tybalt and Mercutio during this fight scene.
- Ask class members to highlight lines they feel reveal Romeo's character
- The ninth in a 20-lesson unit that uses Romeo and Juliet as an anchor text
- Scenes from Baz Luhrmann’s Romeo + Juliet are used throughout the unit as illustrations
- The 14-page resource includes a list of the Common Core standards that form the basis of the lesson, the plan, a vocabulary list, a discussion question and sample responses, a Quick Write prompt; and a written homework assignment in which class members indicate who they feel is responsible for Mercutio's death
- All the lessons in the unit follow the same format