This Grade 9 ELA Module 1: Unit 3, Lesson 2 lesson plan also includes:
After viewing a clip from Baz Luhrmann’s Romeo + Juliet in which major characters are introduced and the violence between the Montagues and the Capulets is depicted, the class reads act 1, scene 1, lines 158-202. Groups then analyze the language Shakespeare uses to introduce Romeo.
- Rather than using the provided audio recording, cast class members and ask them to prepare a masterful reading of act 1, scene 1, lines 158-202
- The unit employs scenes from Romeo + Juliet, Buz Lurhmann’s 1996 adaptation of Shakespeare’s tragedy
- The 20-lesson unit, the third in a module of three, builds on the protocols and routines established in the first unit
- The second resource in a 20-lesson unit
- The 12-page resource includes a list of the Common Core standards addressed by the lesson, the plan, a vocabulary list, discussion questions and sample responses, worksheets, a link to a free audio resource for the play, a writing prompt, a rubric, a writing checklist, and a homework assignment that asks class members to research Cupid and Dian