This Grade 9 ELA Module 1: Unit 3, Lesson 14 lesson plan also includes:
After watching the scene from Romeo + Juliet in which Juliet argues with her parents because she does not want to marry Paris, groups do a close reading of act 4, scene 1, lines 44-88, examining the word choices in the conversation between Friar Laurence and Juliet to determine what these words reveal about Juliet's character.
- To vary the format of the lesson, begin with a reflective journal that asks class members to consider advice they would offer Juliet
- Scenes from Baz Luhrmann’s Romeo + Juliet are used throughout the unit as illustrations
- The 14th in a 20-lesson unit that uses Romeo and Juliet as an anchor text
- The 12-page resource includes a list of the Common Core standards that form the basis of the lesson, the plan, a vocabulary list, discussion question and sample responses, a note-taking worksheet, a Quick Write prompt, and a homework assignment
- Some class members may feel challenged by the lack of variety in the format of the lessons in the unit