This Grade 9 ELA Module 1, Unit 1, Lesson 17 lesson plan also includes:
Eighth graders demonstrate their understanding with the final assessment in a literary analysis unit based on Karen Russell's short story, "St. Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves." Having prepared for the assessment in the last few lessons, young writers complete an in-class essay about the main character's development throughout the story, based on evidence from the text and their own brainstorming.
- Allow English learners or struggling readers to write a sample draft of the essay at home, and to write their second, revised draft during class
- After you assess the essays, encourage middle schoolers to submit an edited version for a boosted grade
- The final lesson of the unit; references graphic organizers and activities from previous lessons, particular Lessons 15 and 16 in the series
- You'll find the assessment in Lesson 16, but not in this resource
- Provides lots of preparation for the assessment in preceding lessons
- Encourages brainstorming and textual evidence in the writing process